The countdown is on, people. I’ve purchased my first batch of Pot of Christmas ingredients, Mariah Carey Christmas Spotify is heating up, and there’s currently a giant tree obscuring my #lobbyselfies, which can only mean one thing…
WE HAVE TO START SHOPPING, DAMMIT!!!
Sorry for yelling, but I feel the need to convey a sense of urgency. Also, I love shopping.
The holidays obviously aren’t (just) about the presents, but there’s something to be said for finding the perfect gift for someone you love. Whether they’re prone to tears (hi, Mom!) or Nintendo 64-style freakouts (Logan), I live for the Christmas “unwrap.” With that said, sourcing great gifts can be tough. In the hope of lightening your shopping load this season, I’ve rounded up some of my top picks for the cooks, food lovers, and nesters in your life below. And should any of those descriptors apply to you, feel free to casually forward this list to your family. Subject: Hint, HINT.
So without further ado, happy giving and receiving, friends!
Domesticate ME!’s Holiday Gift Ideas for Chefs, Food Lovers and Domestic Enthusiasts:
- Hazelwood House Bamboo Cheese Board. This sassy cheeseboard is guaranteed to please any host(ess) or cheese lover. The best part is that it has a hidden slide out drawer containing a four-piece stainless steel knife and server set. Two presents in one!
- Nespresso VertuoPlus. I stayed with a friend recently who has one of these bad boys, and the delicious cup of coffee it brewed blew my mind. (The coffee tasted almost creamy and there was a layer of froth on top. DELIGHTFUL.) Perfect for espresso and drip coffee lovers alike.
- Food 52 Gift Certificate. I’m not usually a fan of gift certificates (they feel sorta impersonal, you know?), but if you’re feeling panicky about committing to a specific item, Food 52’s shop is a straight up playground for chefs, foodies, and interior design enthusiasts.
- Greenpan Non-Stick Frypan. Cast iron, stainless and copper pans are all well and good, but everyone needs at least one true nonstick pan for things like scrambled eggs, capiche? I recommend this one because it’s sups slick and made with a healty ceramic non-stick coating called Thermolon that’s PFOA- and PFAS-free and doesn’t release toxic fumes when overheated.
- Vietri Incanto Mugs. I own these mugs, and drinking out of them just makes me feel happy. They’re the perfect size for tea and coffee, and the mismatched set feels very “eclectic chic.”
- Cook’s Books Set. This covetable collection of essential cookbooks includes: The Essential New York Times Cookbook: Classic Recipes for a New Century by Amanda Hesser, James Beard’s American Cookery, Joy of Cooking 75th Anniversary Edition, How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman, and Cook’s Illustrated Cookbook by America’s Test Kitchen. The set looks fabulous on a kitchen counter or bookshelf (I have one on my desk), and you can also customize the spines to say your giftee’s name (i.e. Beyoncé’s Cookbooks).
- Le Creuset 4½-Quart Dutch Oven. I put this baby on my gift guide every year because it’s hands down the most used piece of cookware I own. Perfect for cooking everything from browning meat to cooking grains and simmering soups and stews, it’s a total workhorse. It’s on the pricier side, yes, but it lasts forever.
- Wedding Wine Box. This is technically a “wedding present,” but I think it would make a sweet holiday choice for newlywed friends/fam or your new spouse. Basically, you pick three wines and pack them in the engraved boxes, and the couple uncorks them on the designated anniversaries. Cute, no? (Have I gone soft?!!!)
- ThermoPro Digital Cooking Thermometer. A meat thermometer may not be the sexiest present, but giving the gift of perfectly cooked meat is actually quite thoughtful/timeless. In fact, my roommate gifted me a similar thermometer circa 2013, and it’s my favorite thing he’s ever given me. (Excluding my engagement ring and the proposal blanket. Duh.) If you want to go really ham, you could gift a fancy roasting pan like this and the thermometer.
- The BroBasket. This is one of the few gift baskets that has ever truly excited me, and I imagine it would thrill most of the dudes in your life. There are endless pre-made baskets (think BBQ Bash and Beer & Beef Jerkey baskets), but you can also customize your own with an array of booze, snacks, games, and gear. Virtual chest bump.
- Breville Smoking Gun. For those who love all things smoked, but don’t have the space/desire for a big old smoker, this little guy is for you. It infuses food and drinks with killer smoky flavor without the extra heat—the gun actually releases cool smoke! For the record, we got one as a wedding present, and Logan has never been happier.
- The Dude Diet. You knew I was going to sneak my book child in here, right? I’m mildly biased, but I think The DD makes an excellent present for any human that cooks or eats food. (And has a decent sense of humor.)
- Table in a Bag. (not pictured) This picnic-ready table folds up into basically nothing and fits into a little sack!!! The genius overwhelms me.