You know I’m not a serious dessert-maker, but I decided to make an exception this week. It’s Christmas, and I was in the mood to whip up something epic and holiday-themed. So that, friends, is exactly what I did. I give you…Peppermint Bark Rice Krispie Treats.
These bad boys have all of the awesome elements of peppermint bark, but they’re so much better. Because they also have Oreos, and marshmallows, and Rice Krispies. Plus, they only took me about 20 minutes from start to finish, and I never even had to turn on the oven.* BOOM.
When they were ready, I stood there admiring my handiwork for a good five minutes before performing my taste test. A lot of things were running through my head after that first bite, the most important being that I am a genius and that these Rice Krispie Treats are my greatest creation. Ever. I then proceeded to eat several of them in one sitting. Put me on the Naughty List! It was worth it.
These incredibly festive Rice Krispie treats are off the beaten path in the best possible way. When everyone else is making cookies and brownies, you come out of nowhere with these. You’re so creative! I guarantee that you’ll get twice the compliments for putting in half the effort, which is pretty much my goal in life.
Make Peppermint Bark Rice Krispie Treats for your family. Make them for your friends. Take them with you to work, and hand them out when you make a mistake or need a favor. Single? Perhaps you should skip actually eating these, and start taking them to the bars with you. Just a thought.
I know it’s Christmas Eve, but there’s still time to pick up a few things and make a batch of these before the festivities begin. On the off chance that your family is getting on your nerves, escaping to the kitchen is always a wonderful way to get some alone time, while simultaneously wowing everyone with your domestic skills. Two birds, one stone.
Happy Holidays, everyone! Love you, mean it.
*I’m a professional. Don’t beat yourself up if it takes you 30.
Peppermint Bark Rice Krispie Treats: (Serves 9-12)
3 tablespoons salted butter
1 10.5-ounce bag mini marshmallows
8 oreos, crushed
½ cup crushed peppermint candies/candy canes (About 4 standard candy canes)
5 cups crispy rice cereal (I obviously used classic Rice Krispies)
1.5 ounces white chocolate, broken into small pieces
1.5 ounces dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
Preparing your Peppermint Bark Rice Krispie Treats:
-Grease an 8-inch baking pan/dish with butter or cooking spray. Set aside.
-In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. When melted add the marshmallows and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly with a spatula/wooden spoon, until completely melted.
-Place the white chocolate and the dark chocolate in separate microwave-safe bowls. Microwave in 15-second intervals, stirring after each one, until the chocolate is melted. (It shouldn’t take more than a minute, tops.)
*Blogger’s Note: I updated the pictures/recipe in this post on 11/14/14. I happened to make a batch of these, and I felt they deserved some new glamour shots, as their sexiness was not done justice with my 2012 iPhone pics.
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 10.5-ounce bag mini marshmallows
- 8 oreos, crushed
- ½ cup crushed peppermint candies/candy canes (About 4 standard candy canes)
- 5 cups crispy rice cereal (I obviously used classic Rice Krispies)
- 1.5 ounces white chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 1.5 ounces dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
- Grease an 8-inch baking pan/dish with butter or cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. When melted add the marshmallows and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly with a spatula/wooden spoon, until completely melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in half of the crushed peppermint and Oreos, then stir in the cereal.
- Turn the mixture out into the prepared baking dish. Using a sheet of wax paper or greased parchment, press the mixture into an even layer. (Make sure you get into the corners, people!) Sprinkle the top with the remaining Oreos and peppermint and use the paper to press the toppings into the Rice Krispie treats.
- Place the white chocolate and the dark chocolate in separate microwave-safe bowls. Microwave in 15-second intervals, stirring after each one, until the chocolate is melted. (It shouldn’t take more than a minute, tops.) Drizzle the white chocolate over the Rice Krispie treats. (It will be a little gloppy. That’s okay!!) Repeat with the dark chocolate.
- Refrigerate the treats for 25-30 minutes until the chocolate sets. Slice into 9 squares (or 12 rectangles) and get festive.
These will keep for 3-4 days covered tightly with plastic!