2014 Holiday Gift Guide for Domestic Gods and Goddesses (and a Giveaway!)
I love them.
I adore receiving presents, but I especially enjoy giving them. In fact, I find few things in life more glorious than watching someone open the perfect gift. My roommate is particularly awesome in this respect, as his reaction to unwrapping something badass is similar to this kid’s, except with a lot more expletives and bear hugging. It’s my favorite. (It’s also why I toy with the idea of giving him a puppy for Christmas every year. Then I remember we’d have to keep the puppy. Dammit.)
In case you have a chef/food lover/domestic god(dess) in your life, I’ve put together a handy list of fabulous things that are guaranteed to elicit that “OHMAHGODDDD!” response (and maybe even excitement tears). And if you’d rather receive these items, I highly suggest forwarding this post along to those shopping for you…
15 Epic Holiday Gifts for Domestic Gods and Goddesses:
1. Riedel “O” Stemless Wine Tumblers. Last year, I recommended Reidel’s classic stemware. This year, I’m going edgy with these stemless bad boys. I’m particularly partial to the “Cabernet/Merlot” and the “Big O Cabernet” glasses, which are lovely for wine, water and all manner of grown-up cocktails.
2. Laguiole Cheese Knives. Cheese rocks. And having these fancy knives to attack it with will really elevate the experience. You have your choice of three different handle finishes, but I’m partial to the ivory color. (Neutral is always a good choice.)
3. Make It Ahead: A Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. You know how I feel about Ina. I bought this book for myself as an early Christmas present, and let’s just say that the queen does not disappoint. All of the killer recipes can be at least partially prepped in advance to help you feel like a domestic powerhouse (versus a sweaty hot mess) when you entertain. Hallelujah.
4. Le Creuset 4.5 Quart Round French Oven. I’ve received several queries regarding my favorite Le Creuset products, and this French Oven is my top pick. It’s perfect for everything from poaching chicken and braising short ribs to simmering soups and boiling pasta. It’s on the pricier side, but well worth the investment for its multi-tasking abilities.
5. Cheese or Meat of the Month Club from Murray’s Cheese. Murray’s Cheese is the greatest, and having a selection of meats or cheeses (or BOTH) delivered to your door on a monthly basis would be rather thrilling, no?
6. Cuisinart Smart Stick Immersion Hand Blender. My bestie gave me this magical appliance for my birthday last year. I’m now eternally in her debt, as it’s hands down the easiest way to purée soups (no more messy pot to blender transfers), whip cream, and blend all manner of fabulous vinaigrettes and sauces. It’s also infinity times easier to clean than a blender or food processor…
7. Glass and Stainless Steel Cookbook Holder. This will keep the pages of your beloved cookbooks pristine (instead of covered with oily fingerprints and sauce splatter like all of mine). Plus, it makes a rather chic addition to any kitchen counter.
8. Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker. I’ve been coveting one of these contraptions for a while now. It can cook rice in 3-4 minutes, beans and chickpeas in 20 minutes, and even the toughest of meats in under an hour. WITCHCRAFT!
9. 5-piece Nesting Mixing Bowl Set. Domestic success is impossible without a good set of mixing bowls. These ones are quite fetching, and the whole nesting aspect is convenient for those of you with limited storage space.
10. Emile Henry Pizza Stone. If you like pizza half as much as I do, you are going to love this fancy stone, which is known to produce exceptionally crispy crusts. Built to withstand extremely high heat, it can also be used on the grill or over an open flame for peeps who like to think outside the oven.
11. Michel Bras Grater Set. I know graters may not seem particularly exciting, but they’re one of my most prized kitchen essentials. And this set comes with three different blades, so you can tackle tasks from zesting citrus to grating cheeses, pureeing garlic/ginger, and shredding coconut with ease. Booyah.
12. Wine To Go Tote. This is probably my favorite item on this list (shocking, I know). Basically, you pour your wine (or cocktail) of choice into the tote’s airtight plastic sac, and then take it with you on all your epic adventures. It also comes in several other prints, but this one is definitely the most festive.
13. Hammered Cocktail Shaker. I feel very strongly that everyone should own a cocktail shaker. That is all.
14. Misono UX10 Petty Utility Knife. I know I’ve told you many times that you only need these three knives, but I’m going to make an exception for this one. It’s midsize, SHARP, and can be used for pretty much any task. You’re gonna love it.
15. The Pollan Family Table. As my girl Ina says on the book jacket, “This is the cookbook of everyone’s dreams!” It includes over 100 fresh and inspiring recipes from the kickass Pollan women, along with beautiful photographs and heartwarming stories. Lucky for you, I’M GIVING AWAY 3 COPIES. (Merry Christmas!) All you have to do is leave a comment with the best holiday present you’ve ever given or received, and you’ll be entered to win. Do it.
This giveaway will close on Wednesday, December 10, at 11:59pm EST. A winner will be chosen at random and announced on Thursday, December 11. For shipping purposes, the giveaway is open to residents of the US and Canada only (sorry!).
Top image via.
Shop this post
Never miss a post!
Get new recipes and lifestyle tips delivered straight to your inbox.