Casual Friday: Chicken Sausage Breakfast Tacos
TGICasual Friday, party people!! You know the drill. First we talk food, then we waste time on the Internet. Let’s do this.
Breakfast and tacos are two of my very favorite things, so breakfast tacos clearly bring me a shameless amount of joy. I’m not above simply rolling up some eggs and salsa in a tortilla (delightful!), but sometimes you need to up the ante a teensy bit on the flavor and texture fronts. That’s where Chicken Sausage Breakfast Tacos come in.
These breakfast bad boys are still laughably simple/speedy (I’m talking 15 minutes from start to finish here), but smothering your fluffy scrambled eggs with some chicken sausage sautéed with onions, chili powder and a pinch of cumin really takes things to the next level. And once you add creamy avocado, juicy cherry tomatoes, fresh cilantro, and too much hot sauce??! I really want to say “TACOLICIOUS” here, but I also want you to keep reading this blog, sooo…let’s go with “hot damn.” Blows a basic bfast taco out of the water.
I enjoy weekend breakfast tacos because I’m allowed to serve them with breakfast margaritas, but they’re 100% doable on a weekday, especially if you prep the sausage and onion mixture in advance. (It will keep in a sealed container for about four days.) Then all you have to do in the morning is quickly reheat it in a pan or microwave and scramble some eggs. Boom, done.
Moving on to Internet nonsense!
Today is a very special day because it’s my roommate’s BIRTHDAY!! Not gonna lie, Logan does not love his birthday as much as I’d like him to (it’s very strange), but I’m working on it. In the meantime, I’ll just keep celebrating his birthday week for him and reminding him that I am a birthday princess he is a birthday prince. And re-reading his old birthday blog posts like this one because I feel nostalgic (and I love him).
The experience of going to Sephora has never been so perfectly captured. Kudos to Rebecca Harrington for making me chortle at my desk since the great 2013.
Speaking of Gwyneth, I get a lot of queries about the Goop face oil that I’m unfortunately addicted to. It’s this one.
I’ve been into the One Part Podcast for a long time, but I really, really loved this episode with Jody Day, “Not Having Children By Change Or By Choice.” Whether you have kids or don’t, want kids or don’t, it’s an excellent and informative conversation that’s worth a listen. (Jody also has a great accent.)
I may have shared this months ago, but just in case I didn’t, we should all take tips from this genius makeup tutorial.
For those asking for wedding pics (I feel like Beyoncé), our videographers made a little sneak peek video that you can watch on Instagram. I’ve obviously watched it 1,000 times.
As always, I have a laundry list of things I want to make from the web this month, but the following are on my shortlist:
I’m mildly embarrassed by how excited I get about a good kale salad (#basic), and this Kale Bistro Salad has me all hot and bothered.
Jessica’s Loaded Baked Sweet Potato Soup is all of my favorite things in one bowl, and now that it’s chilly, I’m very much looking forward to eating it in a sweater.
People always ask what my favorite thing to cook is, and the boring truth is: roast chicken. I’m always looking for ways to change up my chicken game, and this super crispy 30-minute recipe with herb sauce looks insane. (Plus, it’s an Ali Stafford recipe, so you know its going to be perfect.)
Someone gave me a waffle maker as a wedding present, and I feel like a whole new woooorld has been opened up to me. I’m gonna make sourdough waffles, stat. And then I shall smother them in Nutella and eat them in bed. I assume it will be worth the inevitable chocolate stains on my sheets.
Given my mediocre baking skills, I’m rarely motivated to make a cake, but I’m deeply moved by this Salted Caramel Pumpkin Spice Cake and might actually do it. Maybe. Don’t quote me on it.
Cleaning is a bitch, and I love me a creative sheet pan dinner. Phoebe knocked it out of the park with this Red Curry Sheet Pan Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Crispy Kale, which will be making its debut in my kitchen next week.
I have never had a boozy cider slushie, but I want one very badly. Preferably followed by cider donuts and leaf peeping. (A girl can dream.)
Happy weekending, friends and lovahhs!
Casual Friday: Chicken Sausage Breakfast TacosAuthor -
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 links mild or spicy Italian chicken sausage diced
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 large eggs beaten with a pinch of salt
- 8 corn tortillas
- For serving:
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes sliced into rounds
- 1 avocado sliced or diced
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Hot sauce of your choice
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until pale yellow and frothy. Briefly set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot and shimmering, add the chicken sausage and onion to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent and the sausage is lightly browned. Add the chili powder and cumin and cook for 1 minute, just to toast the spices. Transfer to a bowl.
- Wipe out the skillet and return it to the stove over medium heat. Pour in the eggs, and cook, stirring in large sweeping motions, until the eggs are just set (about 2 minutes). Immediately transfer to a plate.
- Warm the tortillas. You can either wrap 4 tortillas at a time in a damp paper towel and microwave in 15-second increments until warmed through, or heat each tortilla right on your stovetop burner for 5 to 10 seconds per side.
- Assemble your tacos! Each tortilla gets a scrambled egg topped with a heaping tablespoon of the sausage and onion mixture. Garnish with tomatoes, avocado, cilantro and hot sauce.
Shop this post
Never miss a post!
Get new recipes and lifestyle tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Leave a Comment