Domesticate ME!’s Top 10 Recipes of 2017
Happiest of New Years, friends!! I hope you had fabulous and festive and relaxing holidays.
How we feeling about 2018? I feel good. It’s cold as shit in NYC, and I think I’m getting sick (my roommate is currently dying), but it’s all fine because I loooove me the first week of January. It just feels SO FRESH AND SO CLEAN. A blank slate, if you will.
I’m not big on resolutions, but I do enjoy some light goal setting, so I’ve been writing lots of things down in a Word Doc titled, You Better Do This In 2018. And I’m 99% sure this is gonna be my year!!! (For the record, I say this every year. I think is healthy and motivational?) I’ve also been listening to a lot of “Work, Bitch” this week. Highly recommend.
On Friday we’ll be honoring the time-honored tradition of Emptying the Nets, but first, we have to round up the most popular recipes from the last year. This is one of my favorite annual exercises because a.) I’m always curious how my own favorites measure up against the Internet’s, and b.) it’s a wonderful reminder of all the deliciousness that was created over the past 12 months. So, without further ado, I proudly present the 10 most highly trafficked recipes on the blog from 2017…
Domesticate ME!’s 10 Most Popular Recipes of 2017:
1. Cauliflower-Carrot Golden Rice. Every year, the top recipe is either a fat kid favorite (see: Nutella and Bacon Stuffed French Toast) or some sort of vegan, Gwyneth-friendly recipe (see: Vanilla Chia Seed Pudding). This year’s numba one stunna falls into the latter category—turmeric is so hot right now!—and not gonna lie, I’m pretty psyched about it. I don’t usually love the winning recipe quite as much as the Internet does, but I am alllll about this rice. I tend to have a giant batch in my fridge, which I dig on its own as a light meal/snack or added to bowls and salads throughout the week. You must take it for a spin if you haven’t already.
2. Superfood Stir-Fry. If you keep cooked grains on hand, this nutrient-packed stir-fry is a one-skillet wonder that comes together in less than 30 minutes. It also reheats like a champ—great news for sassy desk lunchers!
3. Bulgogi Chicken Bowls with Coconut Cauliflower Rice. 2017 was the year of “bowl meals,” so I’m not surprised this delicious and nutritious recipe snagged a spot in the top three. These bowls are are bomb as is, but I also like to serve the chicken, rice, and veggies with some butter lettuce leaves so that people can build their own lettuce wraps. Throwin’ that out there for the creatives.
4. The Best Peasant Bread. This recipe actually comes from my friend Ali’s unbelievable cookbook Bread, Toast, Crumbs, and it is hands down some of the best bread I’ve ever tasted. Plus, it’s RIDICULOUSLY easy to make. You know baking isn’t my strong suit, so you can trust me on dis.
5. Summer Vegetable Quinoa Bake. This crazy quinoa bake lady was seriously worried one of her bakes wouldn’t break the top 5, but it appears that peeps are slowwwwly catching on to the magic of quinoa casseroles. HALLELUJAH.
6. Roasted Potato, Corn and Leek Chowder. This delightful vegan chowder is one of those super versatile recipes you can make year-round—use fresh corn in the summer and serve chilled; Sub canned or frozen corn in the winter and get after it piping hot. (p.s. It’s ripped from the pages of my badass friend Jess Murnane’s cookbook, One Part Plant.)
7. Spicy Bean and Cheese Taquitos. Modeled after my roommate’s beloved “dirt sticks” (aka 7-11 taquitos), these are one of the most addictive lightened up fingie foods ever.
8. Sausage and Kale Lasagna Soup. I think this may be my personal favorite from 2017, friends. It’s super hearty and comforting, but still healthy, and it comes together in a FRACTION of the time it would take to make real lasagna. I feel kind of giddy just thinking about it.
9. 5-Ingredient Skillet Eggs with Spinach and Roasted Cauliflower. If you follow my Instastory #yolkporn, you may have noticed that I make some version of these eggs multiple times a week. They’re not fancy or fussy, people. They’re just GOOD. (And good for you.)
10. Stuffed Poblano Quinoa Bake. Anotha one!! This bad boy has all the meaty, cheesy, spicy flavors of a stuffed poblano in fancy whole grain casserole form. Personally, I’d choose this over the summer veggie bake, but to each their own…
Have you made any of these recipes?! If so, which were your favorites? Any that didn’t make the list? Your weird blog lady wants to know! xox
Never miss a post!
Get new recipes and lifestyle tips delivered straight to your inbox.