Grilled Peach and Cherry Tomato Quesadillas
My roommate has been traveling a lot for work over the past few weeks, which has allowed me to reconnect with my “cooking for one” roots.
While dining with the Dude is awesome in so many ways (I live for this type of reaction to my food), I definitely don’t hate the solo dinner thing I’ve been doing recently. It’s kind of refreshing to make and eat whatever I want, while enjoying some quality time watching reality TV and reading teen novels with my deep and creative thoughts.
On the whole, Logan and I eat well together, but I know better than to give him a kale salad, goddess bowl, or vegetarian quesadilla at his pm feeding. As entertaining as it is to watch him transform from human dude to raging hulk, I prefer to avoid the, “You’re always trying to starve me!! WHERE’S THE MEAT??!!” meltdown when possible. It’s easier just to throw some Dude Diet-friendly chicken/sausage/steak at him and call it a day.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m far from vegetarian (duh), but my bod doesn’t need meat every night, and I get pretty pumped to enjoy a meatless feast sans man tantrum every once in a while. Especially when it’s something as delightful as a Grilled Peach and Cherry Tomato Quesadilla…
Lightly caramelized peaches and onions, bursting cherry tomatoes, and fiery pepper jack cheese make for a truly magical summer flavor party, friends. They successfully hit the sweet-spicy-savory trifecta, and the subtle smokiness that comes from grilling both the fillings and the ‘dillas themselves? Next level.
Please get on this recipe STAT before all the peaches and tomatoes disappear and we’re forced to retire our grill(pan) and enter the land of pumpkin spice. Blergh.
I happily crushed these quesadillas for lunch and dinner multiple times last week, but they’d also make excellent finger food for your late summer soirées. You can even prep these babies in advance (it shouldn’t take you more than 15 minutes), and then just throw them on the grill come fiesta time. Slice each crispy ‘dilla into small triangles, get some fresh guac involved, and you’re good to go.
I assume you were already planning to serve margaritas with these, but if not…you should probably serve margaritas with these.
- 1 ripe yellow peach
- ½ red onion sliced into 1/3-inch rounds
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 8- inch whole grain tortillas
- 2 cups grated pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- ¼ cup loosely packed cilantro leaves finely chopped
- Guacamole for serving optional
- Pre-heat a grill or grill pan over medium high heat.
- Slice your peach in half from pole to pole and remove the pit. Slice each half lengthwise into ½-inch pieces. Thread the peach slices onto metal or bamboo skewers.
- Brush the peach skewers and onion rounds lightly with olive oil, and place them on the hot grill. Cook the peaches for about 2 minutes per side until grill marks appear and the fruit has softened slightly. Cook the onion for 3 minutes per side until slightly charred and softened.
- Roughly chop the peaches and onions.
- To assemble each quesadilla: Sprinkle ¼ cup cheese on one half of a tortilla. Top with a quarter of the peaches, onion, tomatoes and cilantro. Sprinkle with another ¼ cup cheese and fold the empty half of the tortilla over the filling to close.
- Grill the quesadillas for 3 minutes per side until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is crisp.
- Slice each quesadilla into 3 triangles and serve immediately. Get some guacamole involved if you’re feeling festive.
*I’ve already told you how much I dig Peapod, but as a refresher, it’s a game-changing service that saves you precious time by delivering all of your grocery needs (including the goods for these quesadillas). If you decide to give it a try, use the code PEASPOD20 to get $20 off your first order of $100 or more.
Shop this post
Never miss a post!
Get new recipes and lifestyle tips delivered straight to your inbox.